Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush Seedlings

Posted by SaraElise 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:15

I'm having trouble getting my butterfly bush seedlings to thrive. They sprout, stay around a few weeks, then die. Any general tips? I have them under lights and most of my other seedlings have done well and are ready for outdoor transplant.

They are supposed to be easy, from what I've read. Even considered a weed in some areas! Any tips on soil moisture or nutrients or anything?

The only other one I've had trouble with this year is an aster (also supposed to be easy), but I restarted those and they are doing better this time.

In case it helps to know what has done well in the growing environment I created, these are some of the others that I've kept in the same conditions:

Sedum
Russian Sage
Coreopsis
Lavender
Echinacea
Blazing Star/Gay-feather
Hollyhock (leaves a bit more yellow than ideal, but plants are strong and they are darkening as they spend more time outdoors before the full transplant)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush Seedlings

Believe it or not, pencil shavings sprinkled around the area will allow them to thrive after a week or so. I tried this with some of mine and though it took a few weeks I had an amazing turn out.

o

Weird. I wonder why they help. But, I will try it. Thanks!

o

Butterfly Bush seedlings may be susceptable to fungal disease in their early stages. My thought is the pencil shavings control the moisture content at the top of the soil, where the fungal disease begins it's first stage. I had 6" seedlings that I planted in my first garden. We had a very wet season and they rotted away. The following year I got gallon sized plants that I got to grow.

o

You are one zone up from me.
Last fall I read that Butterfly plant seeds don't like being pampered.
So when the plants produced seeds I just tossed them on the ground (where I wanted them) like they would do naturally. I have so many young plants now that I thinned many, many.
Saw a monarch on the parent today.
Bottomline, try to toss seeds on the outside soil in the fall.

o

I'll try that way too. I don't know what I do to the "easy" plants, but it seems like the easier people claim a plant is to care for, the more likely I will have trouble with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here