Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflower Momma!!!

Posted by soozeesully 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 18:21

I'M A MOMMY!!
Never thought I would be saying THAT again, especially at 40!
So, I followed everyone's advice, and now have 22 new Moonflower babies!!

Planted April 3 at 11am in peat cups (WalMart) and they were born on the 9th! Yes, the 9th, 6 days later.

NOWWWWWWWW, my question is how do I raise them?
They have reached the top of the plastic dome that they were born in, and I removed that yesterday. I'm keeping them moist, but with still some vacant peat pods, I'm wondering if I still put the light on them?

My oldest are getting very tall (3inches) and are only carrying 2 leaves.

Any advice as to where I go from here?

I live near Shawano, WI, and our soil is very acidy as we are on the river and surrounded by pine trees.

Thank you all in advance :)

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflower Momma!!!

Great job! What kind are they? 'Moonflower' can be used to describe a lot of different flowers such as morning glories to daturas.

FYI for next time, the dome should have come off on April 9th when they germinated.

I would get them under shop lights. Lights should be between 1-3" away from the top of them to keep them stocky and not stretching for the light.

Temps: 50-60 is ideal, but warmer wont kill them, maybe make them a little leggy.

I would transplant them into 16 oz cups or 3-4" pots. This will help build a stronger root system and watering will be easier in a larger container.

I would bottom water once the top 3/4 is dry, do not keep them moist. Constant moisture promotes dampening off and a weak/shallow root system. I would fertilize with a 1/4 solution once a week as well.

.......depending on exactly what moonflower you are talking about, you can't plant them until may 15th or after your last frost date. Plant them in full sun and amend the soil with some organic material.

I hope that helps.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here