Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Any experience with Mutisia?

mark4321_gw
12 years ago

I'm curious whether anyone has had any experience with Mutisia seeds. I realize that this may not be the best forum--Chileflora has a forum that may be more appropriate.

I bought a Mutisia oligodon plant (Annie's Annuals and Perennials, at their nursery in Richmond, CA, $7.50). The plant came with an old seedhead from one of last year's flowers. I removed the seeds today:

{{gwi:236616}}

Sorry if this is a bit out of focus. Mutisia seeds are notorious for being non-viable. Chileflora (link at bottom) suggests that some species give as many as 10% viable--this is the high end!

I'm curious whether anyone thinks the 3 seeds I've indicated with arrows could be among the plump, viable seeds. They are certainly more plump than those still attached to the "parachutes"...

My plan is to plant them all. It sounds like 2 week stratification is ideal. I assume I can just put the whole moist pot in the fridge?

I'm also going to try rooting cuttings. I've only grown Mutisia subulata in the past, with only one attempt at rooting a cutting (failed) and seeds sent to others (no reports of success, and I presume these were not viable).

These are very odd plant, by the way. This plant did have the distinction of being my "ugliest" plant, pretty much looking like a small dead holly. The new growth (even from what looked like "dead" stems) is nice so far, with tendrils starting to emerge at the ends of the leaves.

{{gwi:236618}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Chileflora: Germinating Mutisia

Comments (2)