Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any experience with Mutisia?

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 18:27

I'm curious whether anyone has had any experience with Mutisia seeds. I realize that this may not be the best forum--Chileflora has a forum that may be more appropriate.

I bought a Mutisia oligodon plant (Annie's Annuals and Perennials, at their nursery in Richmond, CA, $7.50). The plant came with an old seedhead from one of last year's flowers. I removed the seeds today:

Mutisia oligodon seeds

Sorry if this is a bit out of focus. Mutisia seeds are notorious for being non-viable. Chileflora (link at bottom) suggests that some species give as many as 10% viable--this is the high end!

I'm curious whether anyone thinks the 3 seeds I've indicated with arrows could be among the plump, viable seeds. They are certainly more plump than those still attached to the "parachutes"...

My plan is to plant them all. It sounds like 2 week stratification is ideal. I assume I can just put the whole moist pot in the fridge?

I'm also going to try rooting cuttings. I've only grown Mutisia subulata in the past, with only one attempt at rooting a cutting (failed) and seeds sent to others (no reports of success, and I presume these were not viable).

These are very odd plant, by the way. This plant did have the distinction of being my "ugliest" plant, pretty much looking like a small dead holly. The new growth (even from what looked like "dead" stems) is nice so far, with tendrils starting to emerge at the ends of the leaves.

Mutisia oligodon April21

Here is a link that might be useful: Chileflora: Germinating Mutisia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any experience with Mutisia?

Update: Looks like I won't be attempting to grow it from seed, at least not right now. The seeds spilled and are scattered around...

o
RE: Any experience with Mutisia?

1) seed lightly cover soil temp for germination 70F & took 30-90 days to germinate
2) Cuttings use firm new growth taken spring or fall. apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) expected rooting time 15-50 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here