Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering seedlings

Posted by stevec_2007 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 18:36

I am very new to gardening. I just bought some salvia and monarda plants from an online seller. I live in Kansas and we can get some torrential downpours. The plants are very tiny. I was worried about the seedlings getting beaten down by a hard rain, so I covered them with 2 liter bottles with the bottoms cut off. I tore off the labels to give them some sun and left the lid off so they could breathe a little.
Is there anything wrong with doing this? If its OK, how long can I keep them covered? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering seedlings

You have effectively made a clouche. I have done, at one time or other, just as you did to start some seeds early. It does raise the temperature in there, so you'll have to watch on hot sunny days that it doesn't get too hot in there. As long as you give them water--It can dry out fast too--and remove it on hot days they can stay in there until the leaves touch the sides. Then it must be removed or the leaves in contact with the plastic will burn.

I would monitor the heat for a while--that's what you have to worry about--and see how hot it is under the plastic

o

I think they will get too hot in there. It was over 70 today. I'd take the risk on the rain versus cooking them.

o
Yes

I just looked at your zone and I think like sleepy it will get too hot in there. Use them for starting a few early seeds next year.

o

OK thanks. I'll go pull off their "lids" right now.

o

I don't know where exactly you're at, stevec, but we've got just the perfect rain up here in Kansas City today; light and lingering for the past few hours. Hopefully it's doing the same at my house in Lawrence and wherever you are! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here