Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping Phlox

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 18:38

Hi, I am not sure if this is the place to ask the question, but I have been looking for seeds for creeping phlox, but I couldn't find it from common places like Burpee, Thompson and Morgan, Stokes, or Park Seeds.

Does anybody know why that is the case? From the info that I can find, it is phlox sabulata, and it should set seeds (that is, not sterile). But why is it that we can't buy the seeds (especially that it seems to be popular, like you see lots of them in Home Depot).

Or does anyone know a source?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping Phlox

You probably can't buy seeds because the best way to get a new plant is to divide this very fast growing perennial. Most people who have them are happy to share to keep theirs from getting out of hand. Buy 1 plant and you'll have plenty to divide next year.

o

I agree on dividing - they transplant well. I cut into some that spread well in partial shade but did not bloom there, and one day after in full sun they are full of flowers. Tough little groundcover! And the longlasting green is so nice.

So if you cannot find someone to divide for you, consider buying some small plants at nursery and you too will be dividing in a couple years. Full sun for the great bright spring flowers :)

o

Thanks for the info! I will buy one this year.

o

My two mature plants that I bought 4 years ago are now 3-4' round and I taken cuttings to make over 30 other plants. They cuttings are about 2-3' round.

I love them. They keep their neat shape, won't 'take-over', tough plants in regards to no sub. water and light foot traffic ... and you can divide like crazy as stated above.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here