Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to transplant

Posted by foolishpleasure 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 18:40

I planted my seeds in 6 inches plastic pots. I usually put 5 seeds to each pot to make sure I will get at least good one. In almost 100 pots I have, one good seedling some times two or three. Some pots has 5 good ones. I am not going to transplant them outside until the first week of May in about 5 weeks. I don't think I should leave 5 plants in that small pot and I have an idea to transplant the extra ones in more pots. The question is When?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to transplant

The standard recommendation is to transplant seedlings when they have two sets of true leaves. With most of my seedlings this year, I have been doing it when they have one fully developed set of true leaves.

There are many people who do not divide, they just snip off the extras, leaving the healthiest seedling to grow. If you have enough, that is certainly the least stressful way to go about it.(both for you and for the plants)

With many of the seeds I bought this year I only got 10-12 in a pack, so I really didn't want to sacrifice any of them to the scissors. I decided that as long as I was very gentle with them, it would be easier to divide and transplant before the roots became tightly intertwined, hence my decision to divide when the first true leaves formed.

Only pick them up by the cotyledon leaves, the stems, roots, and true leaves all bruise easily.

o

You don't say what you growing, but with one seedling per six inch pots, it is very easy to end up with a pot that remains too wet. I would only water when I am sure they need water and then only from the bottom, and let the water wick up, stopping before the top of the soil looks wet. Al

o

Thank you guys I know what I need to do now.

Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here