Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

Transplant soil/medium?

daleyc
11 years ago

Dear Garden Folk,

I'd like to move my Zinnia into larger pots. What kind of soil/medium shoud I use?

Thanks!

Dale

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Any good soil-less potting mix. Miracle Grow is probably the most common brand available since most big box stores carry it although I don't personally recommend it. But many use it quite happily. Many other brands are also available, just no soil/no dirt.

Dave

• luvahydrangea
    11 years ago

I happily use Miracle Gro Organic and highly recommend it. I can't think of anything I dont like about it. :D

• zen_man
    11 years ago

I use Premier ProMix BX. I get it in the compressed bale, because it is more economical in that quantity. It contains some Perlite, but I usually add some extra Perlite for a lighter mix.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

miracle grow is probably the best choice as it is readily available. which miracle grow do you use? is it the potting soil?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Peat based mixes are short lived, but useable for one season for most plants. There are more and more bark based mixes available which have a much longer life in the container before collapsing and failing to drain. The leaf burn so often seen on container grown plants is mostly caused by the salt build up in poorly draining mixes. Al

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

which miracle grow do you use? is it the potting soil?

I think I answered that in the first post Dale. Do NOT use any with "soil" in the name - so no potting soil. If you use MG then use the MG Potting MIX. It comes in 3 forms - MG Potting Mix, MG Organic Choice Potting Mix, and MG Potting Mix with Moisture Control.

Since you are just transplanting seedlings into temporary containers you should not use the one with moisture control added as it keeps small pots and containers too wet. Either of the others is fine for the short term.

Dave

PS: for large, permanent home containers then zenman and Al are right on. MG, in the long term, has lots of problems and isn't the best to use.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

all right i've got the mix...now it's time to do the transplanting.

i've got the Zinnia in a 1 1/2 inch/ish round pod. The pod is made up of growing medium. i'm thinkin' peat pots with the bottoms removed so there is just only a little disturbance

does that sound about right?.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I'd suggest some reading here about all the problems associated with using peat pots. They really are NOT recommended for use or if used, the entire pot must be stripped off/removed before planting. Plastic containers will always benefit plants far more than peat containers.

Dave

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

if i use plastic containers how can i transplant the zinnia as a whole? I don't think that the zinnia will form enough of a root ball (?) to be sturdy enough to transplant. Do I just dump the whole thing into the planting hole?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    11 years ago

Zinnias are tough buggers. They will form a root ball pretty fast. Many of my transplants have very tiny roots, such as begonias and lisianthus, but done gently and kept at proper moisture they do fine during transplanting. You can flip the pot over and tap, which should release the whole plant and rootball in your hand. Support the stem between your fingers and then plop the whole thing into its new home! It may seem scary the first time, but it will get easier as you go.

When you transplant your peat pots, I 100% suggest following Dave's advice. Get as much peat pot off as you can. You may tear of a few roots in the process, but have no fear, they will bounce back!

Are they outside or inside? If they are inside, be sure to harden them of before you put them outside!

Keriann~

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

when i put them into their transplant pot is it ok to cover most of the stem (3 inches maybe)as they are really leggy . then i just flip the pot over and tap,support the stem between my fingers and then plop.
    does that sound about right?
    dale

• keriann_lakegeneva
    11 years ago

sounds great dale! and yes, you can plant them 3" deeper, be sure to snipe off any leaves you will be burying so they don't rot

Keriann~

• daleyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks keriann!
    -tale care!
    dale