Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will seeds grow after planted too soon, too cold?

Posted by mariannav 6 (mx1@cognizon.com) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 18:53

I planted a lot of perennial flower seeds and some rhisomes a few weeks ago. It's been very cold (some below 30degree nights) and I think they are just too cold to grow. Will they start growing when the temperatures get warmer or have I lost them?
Marianna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will seeds grow after planted too soon, too cold?

The idea of seeds (or what they were first created to be) was to fall during the fall, be sown into the ground during winter, and grow during the spring. This is how it has worked for how billions of years and so it should work for you too.

o
RE: will seeds grow after planted too soon, too cold?

They should germinate when sunlight, moisture and soil temperature combine to trigger germination as long as they haven't been eaten by critters, blown away by wind or washed away by heavy rain. I grow perennials from seed via winter sowing to protect them from predators and bad weather. There is a winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb where you can find out more about the method.

This is my container ghetto:

These are a few of my 2011 sprouts:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here