Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nygardener

Best way to keep seedbed moist?

nygardener
14 years ago

I'm planning to direct-sow some small-seeded early veggies  carrots, beets, turnips, chard, etc.  and maybe some annual flowers. I can't get out to the garden every day to make sure the seeded sections stay moist, so I'm planning to plant about ¼" deep, water well, cover with a half inch layer of compost and another half inch of chopped straw, and keep my fingers crossed. Does this sound like a plan? What's your favored way to keep seedbeds moist when you can't water daily?

Comments (7)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

Yes, you are correct.

Mother nature will take care of the rest, when it comes to watering.

'April showers bring May flowers'... Unless you have a week/10 days of no rain your seeds will be fine.

They have been growing for thousands of years without our 'hoses.' That is part of the beauty of direct sowing, mother nature helps out!

If I read your post right, you buried (well planning on) the seeds 1/4 inch deep and then put a 1/2 inch of compost on them so 3/4" deep? That is much to deep. Do you still have your seed packets? They should tell you how deep to plant them.

You should mix in your compost and straw into the first 12" or so, of your soil.. not just the top. It could burn the plants.

Happy Gardening : )

Keriann~

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"Yes, you are correct"

Correct about WHAT?

The plants will rot before they emerge. Seed thickness is how deep you should plant. No more than 1/4".

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

I surface sow everything but the larger seeds; sweet peas, lupine, etc. Just scratch up the surface of the soil a little bit, give it a good soak with the hose, sprinkle seed and press it down. Good, rich dirt should stay moist watering every other day, unless it's just blistering hot sun with no shade at all. If that's the case, you may well need to water every day, or risk lower germination levels. But that's probably ok, too; maybe just sow twice as many as you would and thin if they all come up. I would do it that way and risk it getting a little dry versus burying tiny seeds under all that.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I read the post wrong.. oopppss!

Taz- please forgive me, I make mistakes sometimes.

I woudl add that I would water your seedbed very well before sowing the seeds or they may be washed off the surface.

Keriann~

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"I make mistakes sometimes"

We all do. After I seen "you are correct" I had to go back and read the OP again and before I posted I read it one more time lol.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

We plant seeds by digging a trench and filling it with water and letting it soak into the ground. Then we fit in a bit and water again a bit just to wet the filled in soil. Then we plant leaving a slight trench. That moisture will be drawn to the surface by the sun and keep your seeds moist. The trench lets you put the water just where you want it after the seeds sprout, on the plants and not the whole garden.

• nygardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the good advice! I planted this morning, and we'll see how they do!