Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds and Weather

Posted by GreenBasia zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 19:01

Hi, I'm new to gardening and this site. I planted seeds in raised beds (lettuce, radish, turnip, snap peas, peppers, strawberries) last week and tomorrow the weather forecast states it might SNOW, getting down to 25 degrees F. Should I cover all my raised beds? and with what since it will also be raining. I realize I might have planted too early. Any advice would greatly help. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds and Weather

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 22:23

I wouldn't cover them, if you don't have anything germinating yet. The cold temp's will delay your germination, and you may loose a few seeds and have to re-sow them to fill in the spots. Lettuce and radish I really wouldn't worry about, they germinate and grow so fast that even if you lost all of your seeds, you probably wont loose anything by way of time if you re-sow them when conditions are better. Peas, eh, they usually pop up pretty quick for me, too, as long as I give them a presoaking so I'd say the same goes for them.

As for peppers, well, If you were counting on your direct sown peppers, I'd go ahead and scrap that plan. Peppers are almost always started indoors. They like very warm soil to germinate, and once they do they don't tolerate cold. I think your best bet for peppers this year is, at this point, buying some started plants at a garden center once the weather warms up consistently. You can start seeds indoors still I guess, but, it's cutting it kind of close and I'm not sure you'd see the production from them that you'd like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here