Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I mist, top water, or bottom water?

Posted by janie58 5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 19:09

Hi all,

I have a variety of different seedlings growing under lights, but I'm really not sure if I am watering them the "right" way. Most of them are growing in flats, some in cups, and a few in peat pellets. Pellets are about 1 and 1/2 inches deep, flats are about 2 inches deep, cups are 3-4 inches deep. Regardless of what kind of containers they are growing in -- the smallest seedlings I usually mist. The seedlings with no more than 2 sets of leaves I bottom water. I water the tallest, sturdiest seedlings with 2 or more sets of leaves from the top. What I am not sure of, is how DRY should the soil be? Slightly dry? Dry to about the middle of the container? Or should all the containers stay constantly moist ALL the time? Or do you actually let the containers dry out a bit as the seedlings grow stronger? I jus don't quite know how to do this. Thanks for any info you can provide. :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I mist, top water, or bottom water?

Bottom water all of them when the top 3/4 is dry.

You may need to mist slow growers such as impatiens and begonias. I would keep those moist until they get a few sets of true leaves.

And yes, you are correct (as I now know) that bottom watering encourages roots to reach down in search of water thus producing a better root system.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here