Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds not growing; are they still viable?

Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 19:10

I have a number of seeds I'm going to try to use some techniques on to see if they're viable. The problem is, I put them in non-soil growing media (steadygrow, etc) and they've been in there in the humidity and head for a few weeks.

The two seed kinds are Baptisia pendula (False Indigo) and Primula Polyantha (Primrose).

While there's no mold on the seeds, will they still viable to even try using hot water (in the case of False Indigo) or chilling at 40-50 degrees (primose)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds not growing; are they still viable?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:09

To be chilled for pre treatment to germination, the primrose should be at 35-40F, about like your household refrigerator. P polyantha doesn't usually need it but chilling shouldn't hurt the seed either, not even if you've sown them some time back (just don't plunge them into your freezer for an abrupt drop to 0). At what temperature have you been holding the pots - polyantha is said to germinate best at 60-65 and no warmer than 65 - warmer could delay germination. Surface sown or barely covered.

If you will read through this article by plantsman Tony Avent, you'll see that he has taken ungerminated baptisia from the sowing medium and used the boiling water treatment successfully:

Here is a link that might be useful: Revenge of Redneck Lupins - Avent

o
RE: Seeds not growing; are they still viable?

• Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South Indiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:51

My area is in the basement, but the seeds have heating pads and domes over them, so most likely, probably in the 70's.

Thanks for the link! I'll have to try that out later today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here