Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato question

Posted by John_JJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 19:11

im going to be transplanting my tomatoes to cups and im going to be feeding them for the first time.my question is should i fertilize them before or after transplanting?
im using alaska fish fertilizer 5.1.1
should i use 1 tablespoon or half of one for a gallon of water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato question

After and diluted to 1/2 normal strength.

Dave

o

But its going to be smelly !

o

How long after transplant right away or wait a while?
thanks

o

I made a pseudo fish emulsion with some leftover canned alskan salmon with bone/skin. I pulverized it added some used organic coffee grounds to it. Added enough water to cover it, then strained it. This "juice" I added about 1/8th of a cup to about 24 oz. of water. It is amazing what it did not only for my tomato seedlings, but all of them. The tomatoes especially turned a really beautiful lush dark green in their leaf and stems almost had a purple hue. They are gorgeous! They love fish - little smelly buggers! :) This is my first time gardening - so it is fun - although a bit like taking care of babies - lots of pampering.

o

I re-planted in the cup, and used the fish emulsion to water them - same day. Didn't hurt them at all. I did try to keep as much of the clod of starter mix that was around the roots with it, to reduce the shock of being transplanted. It's been about 2 weeks since then, and they are all great. You will see an immediate change in them with the fish.

o

thanks, your tomato plant looks good.I will be planting mine in a cup today and using fish to feed them

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here