Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did my leaves go?

Posted by Penguinz 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 19:14

This is my first time growing from seed. Round one went pretty poorly I think I over-watered most of the plants and 90% died. I started rounds 2 and 3 (some I started using the papertowel method some i put in a jiffy pellet on a heat mat) Almost all the seeds germinated with the exception of some tomatoes that I fried due to the heat mat being too hot.
My seedlings were looking pretty coming up, I went to bed I cam back this morning and some of my bell pepper plants were just stems!
This isnt the first time this has happened, so far it has always been the bell peppers (but that could just be due to location)This seems to happen when I turn the light out at night mostly.
One of my main concerns at this point is my Bhuts are finally sprouting, If I find them as only a stem it is going to get ugly.
What can I do to protect my babies? I dont think I really have time for a round 4 of planting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did my leaves go?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 19:41

I don't know what kind of setting you have your seedling flats located in....roly poly/pill bugs are one possibility in a damp setting, a mouse is certainly another.

o

Highly doubtful of a mouse, my cats have proven they are very good mousers. there is a door to a crawlspace right there though so I could duct tape it off and see if that helps.
I did see a centipede down there the other day when I was moving trays around a little-could that be a potential culprit?
It is my laundry room in the basement, I was worried my cats would be the ones wreaking havoc but they have ignored it so far.

o

Any slime trails? Slugs or snails can get indoors and cause mayhem if they find something green and tasty. Check under the pots and trays and underneath between the cells if they are in modular trays.

o

I agree with flora, you almost certainly have slugs, hiding during the day and eating at night. Put out slug bait before giving them any more plants to eat. Al

o

"I agree with flora, you almost certainly have slugs, hiding during the day and eating at night. Put out slug bait before giving them any more plants to eat. Al"

...just make sure it's pet-safe slug bait(Sluggo for example)since you have kitties...

o

I agree with the other replies about the slugs.

However, it could also be a cat. Can you close a door so that your cats can't enter that room? If your cats are anything like some of the ones I've owned, they get into a lot more mischief at night sometimes. I wouldn't put it past my current cat to eat my plants at night. I had a new door put on to keep him out. I love him but I don't trust him, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here