Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumb65

Please Help, I Am So Stressed!

brownthumb65
13 years ago

My husband might have CANCER and I have been stressing out lately that I just cannot think straight!!!!!!!!

I've wanted to get a vegetable garden going and now I just am so lost I feel like crying!!

I had no idea that the HOT summer would affect Tomatoes. I thought they loved the heat. I have done absolutely NOTHING!

What do I do? Can I just stick the seeds in the soil outside or should I start them in the little greenhouse seeding kit I have????

I've experimented with potted stuff last year and I don't want to do that this year, but I am fretting about birds or things eating my veggies that will be in the ground.

I've got Tomato seeds, Cheyenne Bush Squash seeds, Pole Bean Seeds and Cucumber seeds, Jenny Lind Melon seeds, Malabar Spinach seeds, Summer Squash seeds.

In the middle of the night we have Armadillos and Raccoons

and O'Possums digging around and I am nervous they will get in my seeds/vegetables!!

Please tell me something that will make me happy.

I desperately need it.

:-(

HALIME

Comments (8)

• cindjo2
    13 years ago

What we did to stop the critters from eating our growing veggies was to get chicken wire and surround the bed with that. Works well... We also had a motion detector sprayer that scared away the birds that would swoop down to eat the seeds or young seedlings. That broke so we got an Owl that hoots, hope it works as well.. Hope your husband recovers.

• sleepy33
    13 years ago

Oh sugar, do yourself a big ol' favor and go down the Wal Mart and get you some vegetable starts for a buck a piece. If you're determined to do it from seed, I imagine it's warm enough in Florida to direct sow everything in the garden. You shouldn't have to worry about bigger creatures like raccoons and armadillos getting at your seeds, but birds like the seeds. Similar to cindjo's suggestion, you can actually sow the seeds and then place chicken wire on top of the bed, sort of like a lid, and that keeps the animals from digging, and the plants just grow up in between the gaps in the wire. You can remove it once the seeds come up. Best of luck, we're here for you.

• momstar
    13 years ago

I totally agree with sleep33. It sounds like you might have a busy summer with hubby so don't start from seed unless you really, really enjoy that part of gardening. I assume you are either gardening because you need the produce or for the relaxation.

Go get a few plants and put them in and surround them with chicken wire for protection from critters. You'll get instant gratification and then you can spend your time on more important things instead of stressing about germinating seeds. You don't need to be worried about seedlings at a time like this.

I hope all goes well with DH.

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

I have a large dog pen that the dog never stays in, so I planted everything in there. Too tall for pretty much everything to get into.

Have you considered container gardening?

Praying for you!

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all. Everyone on here is very kind.

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

How are things working out? What did you decide on doing??

Kim

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my update. My husband does NOT have cancer. It was chronic/acute kidney failure and he is now recovering at the Gainesville, FL VA hospital which is the best hospital we have ever been in! Thanks to God!.

I have not had any time to do anything. We have been traveling back and forth with a rental car (ugh! $$) and My seedlings have been hanging in there.

I've got the Tomato, Cheyenne Bush Squash, and Yellow Cucumber, Jenny Lind Melon , Malabar Spinach seeds, Summer Squash and some Milkweed seeds started.

I had to put them in small pots because I have not had time to get them into the ground. My garden area is not even prepared yet.

My husband should be out in a few days and I will just have to see what I can do.

I have read on some of the packages that some of them (don't remember which, I'm stressed still) do NOT like to be transplanted, but we will see what God will allow to happen when the time comes.

Thanks,

Halime

PS I have some Wax Myrtle shrubs that I planted last year and had to move during the month of November. They got very leggy and I took the advice of people on here to just "whack" them close to the ground. THEY ARE LOOKING BEAUTIFUL. Nice and bushy and green.

• heirloomjunkie
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm glad!

I've actually had no experience with most of the plants you're growing (don't know what to do with squash and don't even know what a milkweed is! :)) but I hope everything works out ok with them. I, too, was running behind this year. Sheer ignorance on my part, but I am suprised how quickly my peas and spinach have caught up. Even bought some herbs yesterday.

Kim