Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant now or wait (California bay area)

Posted by httyuwma (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 19:41

My seedlings are getting quite big. I made the mistake (I think) of putting them in 4" newspaper pots. Now one of the tomato plants is looking unhappy and the other dozen are very health. But all of them have roots coming out the sides of the newspaper pot! I did not expect that. Now I am worried as I was planning on removing the newspaper before transplanting.

Should I still remove the newspaper?
Should I transplant now before more roots grow outside or through the pot (it is average of 44' at night and 75' in the daytime)?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant now or wait (California bay area)

Hi httyuwma

That is just about our summer temperatures and the tomatoes do just fine outside.

If the roots are growing outside the pots the roots are being air pruned. You could put them in other pots or plant them outside. The choice is yours, but I definitely wouldn't leave them as is.

You don't need to remove all the newspaper. It will biodegrade if it is wet enough. Thoroughly wet the paper and you will see most of it will come off and the roots will pull through it. I used to grow tomatoes in peat pots and the roots sometimes came through it. A thorough wetting and the roots slid through the holes they had made and we could peel the pot off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here