Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Seedling

Posted by Pumpkin_Pete Arizona (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 19:46

I started a few different seeds about a month ago and they are doing very well. However, I have one that is completely out of place and looks different than them all. It's actually kind of exciting. I'm curious to see what you think it may be and to see what it turns out to be. It was in the same seed packet as my Roma seeds, so the seed must have looked similar. What do ya think?

This post was edited by Pumpkin_Pete on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 0:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Seedling

With the vein pattern, systemic roughness and slightly parabolic leaf shape I would almost guarantee it is from the family Erythroxylaceae, especially since a good portion of Roma seeds are packaged in South America. So this leaves you with two options. You can pull it now or hide it from the authorities and when it matures produce a small amount of cocaine. It is commonly called the coco plant in south america.

Good luck *grin*

o

Oh man, not what I was expecting to hear at all. I think I'll let it grow anyway just to be sure. It seems to be a strong grower. Thanks for the information!

o

Hehe, anytime...I am rarely wrong but have often been provided with the wrong information for a proper conclusion.... LOL

o

I think its a lot more likely to be a potato leaf tomato seedling from a seed that accidentally got into your seed packet. Google images of coca leaves and you'll see they look nothing like that. You'll also see the seeds look very different and sell for big bucks.

o

I've never seen a coca plant, so I can't say for sure, but before I ever read that comment, I was thinking the same thing as Ohiofem. It looks very very similar to my Brandywine and Matina seedlings, both potato-leafed heirloom varieties (I know for sure the brandywine is, but the Matina may just be an OP strain).

o

*tug*

Seems like I got two bites. *grin*

Sorry, the entertainment level was low here on my original post, kids just went to bed...hehe

o

Now that seems more believable! Either way, it will be interesting to see what it produces. Be it a narcotic or awesome Heirloom tomatoes. Thanks for the information and the humor!

o

Definitely, haha. Be sure to separate it and save seeds from a couple fruits if it turns out to be a tomato. Have a hell of a great time if its the other! ;) lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here