Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watermelon question

Posted by fatal_fatalii (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 19:48

I want to plant in containers this year but I was wondering how many plantf of watermelon can you put into a container?

I have both 18" and 24" containers.

Will two plants fit into the 18 inch containers?

I will be planting sugarbaby melons, but was also wondering if it can be done with those monster 50-100lb melons you hear about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watermelon question

Personally I wouldn't grow watermelons in a container.

How high are these containers. My concern with melons and containers is the fruit is heavy and hanging in midair they are liable to either break off or pull the plant out of the container. Watermelons need lots of water--are you going to be able to give them enough in a container. In addition you would have to devise some kind of net to support the fruit. You could plant more than one seed if you are going to do it

Especially the large ones. In addition the large ones will need more root room than a container can give them.

o

I agree with oilpainter that unless you can rig up a way to support the fruit watermelon in a container will be very problematic.

But if you want to give it a try then the bigger the container the better and both of yours are quite small. The 24" container would be close to the size of 1 hill in the garden except for root room so it could hold 1 plant perhaps. But you will have to water it several times a day and feed it at least weekly for any production.

Container gardening is great in many ways and normally easy to do but a few fruits and vegetables just aren't "container-oriented". So rather than things like potatoes (you other post) and melons why not focus instead on food plants that will thrive in containers?

Dave

o

My Watermelons always sprawl to 15' or so, if you have that much land,why a pot ???

But anyway... Unless you are doing trellis's (in which case you WOULD have to figure out a way to support your melons), all you need to do is pinch off any watermelons that will be in a position to "hang"...VIOLA...back in business ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here