Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know about genetics?

Posted by n1111z 6B (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 19:51

Couple of years ago I purchased some Texas Longhorn okra seeds from Sandhill Farms and raised sixteen plants. One of them produced red pods. I wondered what the seeds of this red plant would produce so I saved the seeds from a single pod. This year I planted six seeds and they produced two seedlings with red stalks and four with green stalks. Anyone have an explanation for this?

photo photo_zpsfcf1a57e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know about genetics?

Sounds about right. Try reading Mendel's laws. Mendel does not work for all hybrids but this one seems spot on.

o

Yep basic Mendelian Genetics. Plant 4 and you'll get 3 of one and 1 of another depending which color allele is dominant. Green is normally dominant over red.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Mendel's Laws of Genetics

o

My dad the plant genetecist said this:

"Probably a hybrid variety? Ask them. Hybrid varieties do this every time. That is the plan for you to buy new seed every year

At very least there was some heterozygosity in the original seed which caused the segregation and recombination; the result is two colors.

Seed companies look for ways to have you Return and buy seed every year. The American way. Smiling."

o

Interesting, Amanda. Sandhill preservation center is a small family farm in Iowa known for their hard to come by heirloom seeds, and poultry. They are the only source I have been able to find for my favorite variety of okra, the Texas longhorn. They have all grown true except this one red plant. Possible the plant was accidentally cross-pollinated with one of their burgandy varieties? Anyway I will transplant these, the resulting pods should tell the tale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here