Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabbage seedlings

Posted by roseosharon (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 19:54

My cabbage seedlings have begun to die, just as the true leaves are beginning to form. They were started in peat pots in my small greenhouse 3 wks ago. I used Miracle Grow potting mix for seed starting. This happened to me last year also. Am I watering too much or waiting too late to start the seeds? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabbage seedlings

Yes you are probably overwatering. Miracle grow potting soil is mostly peat and peat holds the water. I don't like peat pots either. They would have to be peeled off the plant before you plant because they do not decompose like they are supposed to do. They also retain too much water

Once a plant has germinated they don't have to be kept moist like they were when they were germinating. In fact keeping them wet is a sure way to invite trouble. Wait until they dry out a bit and then bottom water. Wait until they dry out at LEAST half way and then bottom water. When you water depends on the size of the plant and the size of the pot. A pot needing water will be light. You'll see how much heavier it is after you water.

To bottom water--set the pots in a shallow dish that has water in it. Wait until the soil darkens a bit on top. Then remove the pots and let the excess water drip out. Now your plants are thououghly watered and can wait a good while before you do it again.

Letting a plant dry encourages the roots to go deep in search of moisture, so you have a better root system and a healthier plant. Over watered plants are weak and have a poor root system, not to mention inviting diseases like damp off and root rot to set in.

o
RE: cabbage seedlings

Thank you for your help. I will try again with my leftover seeds and be more careful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here