Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouted Seedling and Sunlight

Posted by aztomn SE MN 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 20:29

Last year I did very well at my first attempt to sprout my own vegetable transplants (thanks to GW). I sprouted them and moved them directly underneath CFL lights, potting up, etc.

This year I have (Had?) decided to skip the CFL and just move them directly outside as soon as they have sprouted. Most have done well except broccoli seedlings that wilted to death within hours. Do cold season vegetables sprouts need "special treatment"? Did I just get lucky with the others? The first few seedling have only come up within the last couple of days and are outside. The majority are still in the "incubator".

By the way, outside is: An old glass door leaned up against the house. It isn't air tight as the sides are open. The wind isn't blowing them over, but definetly able to "flow through".

Any words of wisdom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouted Seedling and Sunlight

why if you had such good luck last year did you decide to change it up this year? I say, if it's not broke don't fix it. =)

o

Very good point! : )

Last year I started a lot of transplants under 4 - 4' bulbs. It became very crowded under there. I am working on a lot more this year and do not have much room or time and was hoping this would give me more area to grow in. I had such good luck I was lead to believe this would only be easier. Natural light should be superior to a bulb, but I am starting to eat my words!

o

It may have been too hot for your broccoli where you had it, put it at the back. Sunlight coming through the window will be the strongest and hottest near the window and it can raise the temperature by 20 or 30 degrees even if the sides are open. It does little to protect the plants at night, so they are subject to tremendous temperature changes. I know there are people who do this, but it is far from ideal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here