Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pondluvr

Starting flowers indoors (newbie)

pondluvr
11 years ago

Hi all. I'm not new to gardening, but I am new to starting seeds indoors. I was just going to wait another 3 or 4 weeks and plant them directly in the garden, but I am getting impatient and would like to get a head start. The weather is so crazy lately, and we are still getting frosts here almost nightly.

My question, since I am totally new to this, can I use an empty "flat" that I saved from my impatiens last year and use that to plant the seeds? Instead of peat pellets, can I use straight peat, which I already have on hand, and put that in the cells? I do not have a big, sunny window. Should I purchase some sort of grow light to get them going? Would I need to cover them with plastic or something to keep in moisture until they germinate? Sorry for all the questions. The few times I tried to start from seed, they ended up molding. I used regular garden soil and put a plastic bag around them. Ended up throwing them out. The ones that tried to survive got so leggy. I just had them in a sunny windowsill. That sill is not large enough for many plants though.

If there is a link for beginners, I'd love to have it. I will continue surfing here, but some starting tips would be appreciated. If I need a lot of fancy equipment, heating pads, etc., I will just wait a few more weeks and plant the seeds in the garden.

Thanks a million!

Sandy

Comments (3)