Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cvinson_gw

Eggplant leaves yellowing, ideas?

cvinson
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is my first year growing eggplants, and I may have a problem. The lower leaves on one side of the plant are yellowing and dying. The initial leaves did that, and I wasn't too concerned, but now two larger leaves have as well. Otherwise the plant seems vigorous.

I did some searching and found "Fusarium wilt". Is that possible using bagged organic pro-mix? Or am I being paranoid?

I also thought that it might be due to fertilization, which I did twice (fish emulsion, 50% strength).

Any thoughts on what I can do if anything? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

"Fusarium wilt". Is that possible using bagged organic pro-mix?

No, not possible.

Indicates that the root development can't support the new top growth so older leaves die off. Causes: over-watering, over fertilization, root bound plants, etc.

As big as it is how long until it can go to the garden?

Dave

• cvinson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, thats a relief.

It grew amazingly fast, I started it 6 weeks before last frost here in Montreal (May 3), as indicated on the package. Germinated in 3 days on a heat mat.

It is very likely I am over watering/fertilizing. It seems like if I don't water every 2 days, it wilts considerably, so I give in.

I can see dense roots in the 4" pot. This probably means I should re-pot, given another 3 weeks before transplant, even though eggplants don't like being transplanted, correct?

• runswithscissors
    11 years ago

I grow eggplants just for fun...since I do not like to eat them. They grow fast...and all sources say they hate to be transplanted....in my humble experience, I don't find that to be so. If your careful, just like when you transplant anything, they recover nicely, and quickly show you how much they like the extra leg room. I think that is what yours need. Is it possible they need a squirt of iron?

• dirt_farmer
    11 years ago

Hi,
    This isn't exactly what your asking for but I thought I would volunteer this experience i had. Eggplants suffer what is known as blossom drop if the temps at night go below 50F. They will try and make new blossoms if this happens. However if you live in a cold environment you could possible be seeing as many as 70 % less eggplants at harvest time. I live in cold country and it wasn't worth it. The few eggplants that did come in were normal fruit though.
    If you have an unusual summer with warm nights then you will be a big winner.