Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time growing advice, cherry blossom tree

Posted by Gallama none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 21:03

Hello! So heres the deal, I have never grown anything before. For a family members birthday I want to give them a young cherry tree that I grew myself; they love gardening. I want a cherry tree that will grow to be tall and majestic, is there a certain species I should be looking for? Where is a reputable source for the seeds? What materials do I need to grow this? Is there a good step by step guide somewhere?

I would love some advice on this topic! Thanks to anyone who answers, your help is very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time growing advice, cherry blossom tree

When is the birthday? If you want to give a cherry tree you have grown from seed you will need to start in the Autumn two or three of years ahead of the date. IF you can get the seed to grow and all goes well you will be able to offer a tree about two feet tall in about three years time. Also you will have no way of knowing what kind of cherry will grow from the seed unless you have chosen one of the wild species. You can't grow any of the ornamental flowering or good fruit bearing cherries from seed. In fact many of the double cherries don't even produce seed as the sexual parts of the flowers have mutated through hybridization into extra petals. These instructions tell you how to grow any of the wild species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing cherry trees from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here