Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunia pics-help potting up

Posted by nancyboregon OR (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 21:12

Hi - This is my first year starting anything indoors from seed. I have 9 flats (72 plants each) of petunias, that I started under lights 3/22/09 and moved to my new hoop house last Saturday. My plants were so small for so long, but have taken off in the greenhouse, but now what would you do? These are for planting in my yard around June 1, do I need to pot them up... if so what size pot? I tried a couple different sizes (pics below) Did I wait too long? There are some itzy bitzy roots coming out of the bottom of the tray... not many. Should I just fertilize and love them in the 9 cell tray or pot up???
Photobucket
trying to pot up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunia pics-help potting up

Your petunias look great. You can grow them in your flats until you're ready to plant them into the garden or containers. In a few weeks, if you feel they are getting too big for the cell packs,you could consider potting them into a larger pot size, such as a 3 or 4 inch nursery pot. But that's a lot of pots and a lot of work. (The ones you buy at garden center usually come in the little packs.) Once these plants really start to take off, you might need to pinch them back if you continue growing them in the small cell packs.

o

Your plants look great!

I would leave them in the cells until ready to move outside (harden off first of course...) but if you think about how large the plants are when you buy them at a greenhouse - yours have a long way to go (in size) before they need to be moved. ALSO - potting up, will slow the growth as the roots try to catch up again, another reason to leave them.

Just be sure to check them daily - as they will dry out more quickly as the roots fill up the cells.

Great job!!

Missti

o

At zone 8, you should take them outside today!

Definitely keep them in their cell trays until they get sturdier. And as the other posters said, do keep them watered as the little containers dry out faster.

Congratulations!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here