Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleepy33

A funny story...

sleepy33
14 years ago

Ok, I figured you all would get a kick out of this, or at least it made me chuckle. I'll preface by saying that I live in a college town. I was potting up seedlings this weekend, when I ran out 16 oz plastic cups again. So I made a run down the street to the gas station/food mart. Well, they had either a pack of 20 cups, or a giant bag of 280 cups. After debating for a moment (and puzzling that a gas station should have such a large quantity of cups for sale), I decided to just bite the bullet and get the big bag. As I set the cups on the counter by the register, the clerk very helpfully asked if I didn't also need some ping pong balls to go with my cups. He must have figured I was planning the kegger of the century! I laughed and said that they were for my seedlings. Then he raised his eyebrows and asked if I was selling the seedlings... I'm not sure what kind of seedlings he thought I meant, but I quickly said no, no, they're just flower seedlings, for my yard. :)

Comments (10)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Sounds like your college town has a few pot smokers or should I say growers!!

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, more than a few I'd wager! The locals have a fairly high concentration of crunchy-granola hippies. But somehow they seem to mesh pretty well with the beer pong-playing college kids. And hey, now I know where to go if I need some emergency ping pong balls. :)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Funny--thanks for the chuckle

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

That is great :)

I could imagine the thoughts going through his head. ha ha ha

Thanks for sharing : )

Keriann~

How are all your guys doing? Any suprises?

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Thats too funny!

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, things were going great, Keriann...until about 15 minutes ago. I got a text at work from my husband, which read "Yard = done". Nausea hit me. I just knew he had mowed over all the beautiful foxglove that I had planted in a shady area in the side yard where the grass is patchy. I started them this winter, and they were doing great, about knee-high and thriving. But of course, what do they look like at this point but giant weeds. Sure enough, I called, and he said he mowed the side yard, everything. I had a good little cry in the bathroom, and I'm sure I'll cry again when I see them tonight.

On the other hand, everything else is doing well. I was out watering the other day and came accross this guy, blooming out of nowhere:

{{gwi:237841}}

They are part of the wedding flowers. And here are her zinnias, getting ready to bloom any day now:

{{gwi:237842}}

And look how grown up the begonias are getting!

{{gwi:237843}}

A picture of one of the dear departed foxgloves, though they had about doubled in size since I took this. RIP foxgloves (though I guess they may come back later or next year):

{{gwi:237844}}

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Oh, that's terrible!! I'm so sorry! :( Does he know how he "helped" you yet?? You're right. Not being a flower person, I would have totally thought it was mowable. Will they come back any this year?

Kim

• sleepy33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know, it stinks because I'm sure he thought I'd be so happy that he cut the grass (hint: this is the first time this year he's mowed). I was just this weekend thinking I needed to get some mulch around them to help keep the grass at bay; that might have tipped him off. I'll just have to see what the damage looks like when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I can definitely rule out any first-year blooms now. :( I told him that he mowed them over and he said, "I don't think I could have damaged anything. There wasn't anything blooming!" Sigh. I do have another flat full of foxglove, but they aren't near as big, and some of them that got mowed over were all I had of that variety. It wouldn't hurt quite so bad if I knew for sure we'd still be in this house next year, to eventually see them pull through and bloom. I guess my funny story has turned into a sad story!! :) I know one thing, either I'm going to do all the mowing from here on out, or there will be some kind of marking system for the new ones I plant out! I'm thinking a ring of brightly colored stakes. Heck, it might help keep the squirrels from digging them up, too.

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Some cheap, blinking neon signs, perhaps? :)

Kim

• sarahbarah27
    13 years ago

I have a similar story about my boy friend. We were out doing yard clean up last weekend, and he had the loppers and was trimming branches. I have this rose bush that came with the house, I think it is a sort of climbing rose, but have never seen it bloom yet. The old owners must have cut it down or something before we bought the house. This year it had finally gotten sizable and i thought to myself "I think it may bloom this year"! Well, I turned around for a split second and when I turned back he had the thing chopped back down to the ground! He felt so bad about it, and I felt bad for him, he though it was a weed I guess(I don't know how the substantial amount of thorns didn't give away that it was a rose bush, hahaha) Oh well, I'm sure it will grow back in another couple of years! Men and their tools.