Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srj19

Does seed start mix benefit from adding anything for flowers?

srj19
10 years ago

I have a terrible history growing flowers from seed. It only works about 20% of the time for me.

I'm looking to grow a lot this year and am starting with a seed starting mix. I'm wondering if flowers would benefit from adding anything to the Jiffy mix (such as blood or bone meal, worm castings, an over all plant food like espoma plantone, etc)?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments (5)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

No, not likely helpful adding anything to the seed starting mix. Nutrients needed to germinate are already stored within the seed. What you need to provide is moisture, the right temperature, light if appropriate.

Additional fertilizer isn't necessary until after the first couple of pairs of true leaves have grown out, you can cautiously add some then, typically mixed to about 1/4 the strength the directions on the package label of your product indicates.

At what point to you think your prior issues have taken place, are you having trouble achieving germination, growing the seedlings on once they've germinated...someone here can help if you give more information.

• srj19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure actually what my problem has been.

But starting this year I'm pre-dampening the seed starter mix and gently depressing it. In the past I tried growing in pods or in mix in a small container.

We'll see how it goes this year.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Its more about light and warmth and the correct amount of moisture than anything else. I add additional pearlite to seed starting mixes, but it isn't necessary for most flowers.

• srj19
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think with the pods it was probably too wet, when using mix it was probably not pressed down enough to remove air spaces, or possibly I was dropped seed onto the mix, added more mix, then watered and or agitated which could have put my depth way off.

This time I premoistened the mix, gently pressed it down added the see and then covered with the appropriate depth followed by another light pressing.

I expect things to go better this time.

• geosankie
    10 years ago

Remember, some seeds need light to germinate and should not be covered. ie. impatiens and petunias for example.