Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you haden off plants

Posted by horseflysgarden (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 21:31

How do you harden off seedlings after they have been growing inside under growlights. What is the normal situation.

Do you just take them outside for a couple hours at a time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you haden off plants

Basically yes. Start off with no more than 2 hours of morning sun and increase daily. After 4 days they can stay in full sun if they are a full sun plant.

o

Check out the many previous discussions on how to harden-off linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to harden off plants

o

Oh I'm sorry! I should have said MY plants are hardened off in 4 days. Maybe because I use OD lights and mylar. When weaker lights without mylar are used they should probably go at least a week. I've never put them in shade. That just sounds counter productive.

o

Taz, mine don't take so long as a week either, but it's probably better safe than sorry. I leave mine out in dappled shade to begin with because I'm at work during the day and can't be bringing them in and out all day long. Then I transition to a spot with morning sun, then either to full sun or planted out, according to whether they are a sun or shade plant.

o

Great advice from Dave and Sleepy, I would add to protect them from the wind as well!

Your plants will tell you when they are ready, they will perk up and 'look' for the sun.

Keriann~

o

I've never put them in shade. That just sounds counter productive.

No sunlight in your shade Taz? Man that must be some dark shade. My shade still has lots of light in it. ;)

Dave

o

Ha Ha Dave. Ok I worded that wrong.

o

• Posted by cjr891 AZ White Mountains 5 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 16:00

I'm fnding an upside-down plastic laundry basket over my seedlings, on my flat wagon just about perfect for the job.

o

I've heard some people say it takes as long as two weeks. I have simple stuff - tomatoes, peppers, chard, onions, and morning glories. Will a week do for these? I'm so worried that I will screw up this part and all my work will go to waste.

Kim

o

no, not at all 3 or 4 days....maybe 5.

You will see them stand tall and hold up against the wind and not shy away from sun.

I place them in the shade and out of the wind all day my firstday. Then they get filtered sunlight in the morning (and a bit of wind) on the second day and back in the shade from 9am till dusk. Then they get dawn till noon sun the third day and depending on how they do during the am sun and mid day sun they are ready for their first full day in the elements by their 4th or 5th day.

My hollyhocks really looked shabby from the wind on their second day because I left them out too long, but in two days they were study and looking for the sunlight again.

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here