Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help, tons of baby seedlings not doing well!

Posted by gardener_z5 zone 5 colorado (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 21:44

I started a large batch of petunia, Sweet alyssum, and verbascum about 4 1/2 weeks ago. They sprouted quickly and looked fine, but they are still about 1/2 inch tall with only about 2-4 VERY small leaves. I'm not really sure what is wrong, they get between 8-10 hours of light a day and good water supply. Do you think there is any way to save these babies??

Also, can I post pictures of the seedlings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help, tons of baby seedlings not doing well!

They need more like 14-16 hours of light and you could be keeping them too wet. Post pictures by downloading pics to a hosting website and copy the HTML code and paste it in your follow-up.

o

Hi,

If you will save your pics over at "photobucket,com"
once you save them you will see this little box to the left of each picture you have opened , the Third box down has your HTML link, copy and paste that into your message... VIOLA ...give it a try ;-)

Photobucket

o

Have you fed them anything?

Most common cause is too wet. It cause root rot and slow, stunted growth. And I agree that more light is needed. Light is what triggers photosynthesis and that is what leads to growth.

Dave

o

Ok, here is a picture of a few of them

Sweet Alyssum
Photobucket

Verbascum
Photobucket

Petunia
Photobucket

What should I do? Thanks for the advice!

o

WAY TOO much water.

Get a fan on them and try to translpant them into moist (well rung out) soil and get them under lights that are 1-3" away from them.

Do not water again until the top 3/4 of the soil is dry. It will be hard to regulate the water in peat pots, so I would transplant them into plastic containers.

As Taz and Dave said: I would suggest keeping them under shop lights for 12-14 hours.

Keriann~

o

While I agree that the soil does look wet, the seedlings themselves look healthy to me; not leggy (ok the petunia maybe a bit), not yellowing, not drooping leaves. I'd wager more light and possibly a weak dose of ferts and these guys will get going. Can I hazard a guess that you have these in a windowsill or some other form of lights than fluorescent?

o

I agree with sleepy. The plants look healthy they just need more light. I also agree that with that amount of light they must be on a window sill.

o

I put a fan on them, and I will put them under shop lights for 12+ hours and see how they do!

Thank you so much for all of the advice, it may just save my seedlings!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here