Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I make a mistake, re-potting squash??

Posted by michelelc 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 21:55

I started yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash, cucumbers, and melon in small cell packs. I just transplanted all of them to 6 oz. drinking cups and then read that these plants don't like to be re-potted or transplanted. Does anyone know if they have a chance of surviving? Also, my last frost date is May 15, I was thinking of planting them in the garden between May 15-30, will they be OK in the small 6 oz containers until then (if they survive the re-potting)??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I make a mistake, re-potting squash??

They do shock but recover. They grow fast though after their first true leaves IME and once they recover those 6 oz cups might do for another 3-5 days. You need to get them in their permanent home. A 24oz-quart container might last until the 15th.

o

I'd take the chance and plant these in the garden to keep them from stunting. Squash plants started way too early (as these were ;) and then transplanted after they develop more than 2 true leaves will often stunt.

But it may be too late for these plants already so for best production I would plan to direct seed some - that works best anyway for all the squash family - the second week in May.

Dave

o

Thanks for the advice! I started these last week, so they haven't developed any true leaves yet. I'll direct sow some in May to be sure to have some. Thanks! How about the cucumber and melons, are they part of the squash family also? Should I direct sow them?

o

Should I direct sow them?

Yes. You can start them inside but be sure to get them into the garden ASAP and start them in a container where they can remain until the garden. Avoid the interim transplanting if possible. They are best direct-seeded however.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here