Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimithing81

Another "What's wrong with my precious seedlings?" Thread...

jimithing81
10 years ago

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for the expertise and experience shared on this forum. My precious tomato seedlings have an issue, and I'd like some advice. Based on searches and reading previous threads, I believe the issue is related to over-watering. If you would, please confirm so that I take the appropriate corrective action (images to follow).

These seedlings were planted between 3/16 and 3/25. They spent the first 4 weeks of life growing in a window sill. It became apparent due to legginess, and online research, that a grow light system would be required for these lil guys to reach their full potential. This past Monday my EnviroGro T5 2'/2 bulb unit was delivered and promptly installed. All my seedlings (6 individual plants in 4" pots) were top fed watered until it ran out the bottom. Too much water I think; will bottom-feed from here on out. They have not been fed fertilizer yet. Light schedule is 18 hours on, 6 off. I've kept the lights within an inch of the tallest plant. Yesterday, I came home from work and found one of the seedlings had actually grown to touch one of the bulbs. At that time, I noticed 2 plants had a leaf each that was starting to brown at the tip. First thought was I cooked the leaves, but this evening, I noticed a similar brown blemish showed up on a couple lower seed leaves on other plants. Is this a sign of the growing medium being too moist?

Thanks in advance. Cheers to the weekend!

This post was edited by jimithing81 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:58

Comments (4)