Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another "What's wrong with my precious seedlings?" Thread...

Posted by jimithing81 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:56

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for the expertise and experience shared on this forum. My precious tomato seedlings have an issue, and I'd like some advice. Based on searches and reading previous threads, I believe the issue is related to over-watering. If you would, please confirm so that I take the appropriate corrective action (images to follow).

These seedlings were planted between 3/16 and 3/25. They spent the first 4 weeks of life growing in a window sill. It became apparent due to legginess, and online research, that a grow light system would be required for these lil guys to reach their full potential. This past Monday my EnviroGro T5 2'/2 bulb unit was delivered and promptly installed. All my seedlings (6 individual plants in 4" pots) were top fed watered until it ran out the bottom. Too much water I think; will bottom-feed from here on out. They have not been fed fertilizer yet. Light schedule is 18 hours on, 6 off. I've kept the lights within an inch of the tallest plant. Yesterday, I came home from work and found one of the seedlings had actually grown to touch one of the bulbs. At that time, I noticed 2 plants had a leaf each that was starting to brown at the tip. First thought was I cooked the leaves, but this evening, I noticed a similar brown blemish showed up on a couple lower seed leaves on other plants. Is this a sign of the growing medium being too moist?

Thanks in advance. Cheers to the weekend!

This post was edited by jimithing81 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 21:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another "What's wrong with my precious seedlings?"

Another pic of the dried, brown stuff.

This post was edited by jimithing81 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:00

o
RE: Another "What's wrong with my precious seedlings?" Thread...

To me looks like the lights might have burned it. That isn't overwatering damage. I wouldn't worry too much about what is happening on the seed leaves, they're gonna start looking rougher and rougher as time goes on.

I think your plants look pretty good, personally. Get them some nutrients and back off on the watering. I always top water. Top watering in itself is not gonna cause your plants to have too much water, you are :) You can overwater by bottom watering too.

o

Thanks for the reply naturemitch!

The browning on the tips hasn't spread, which is promising. I think you're right; it's just some minor scarring from coming in contact with the bulbs. I picked up some Dr. Earth Organic Home Grown liquid fertilizer (4-6-2) at Sky Nursery here in Seattle. I'll apply a half dose today to give them a shot of nutrients. I also plan to adjust my watering schedule, basically finger test that the mix is dry a half inch or so down before watering again.

Will post an update with pictures in a few days.

o

I agree with naturemitch. It's most likely a bit of burn from getting too close to the light. Happens to my plants from time to as well when I forget to raise up the lights.

Curious if you have a noticed a change with your new watering schedule. Overwatering is definitely a common problem. But your plants look really good. So, I don't think you have done any major damage here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here