Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
use grow lights during hardening process?

Posted by njitgrad NE NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 21:56

Tomorrow I plan to start hardening off my tomatoes and cuke plants that I started from seed over a month ago. After I leave them outside for a couple of hours in the shade, should they go back under the grow lights when I bring them back into the garage? Is there a process to wean them off the grow lights? This part of the hardening process is fuzzy to me.

This post was edited by njitgrad on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 21:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: use grow lights during hardening process?

The reason you harden them off is to get them used to the UV light in natural sunlight. Under lights they are not exposed to it and will burn or wilt if put in direct sunlight all day. That is the only reason to harden them off but they still need light after they come back inside. They need the same amount of light as they had before. Just subtract the time outside. Gradually increase the time outside and decrease the time under the lights. Once they are outside all day you no longer need the lights

o

You don't need indoor light. Leave them outdoors. Move them in and out of shade till they can stay out without sunscald. Bring them in only for really windy, rainy, cold weather. Otherwise natural light times are ok from the start of hardening.

o

You don't need indoor light. Leave them outdoors. Move them in and out of shade till they can stay out without sunscald. Bring them in only for really windy, rainy, cold weather. Otherwise natural light times are ok from the start of hardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here