Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long from germination to true leaves

Posted by lissawick PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 21:57

Hi all...you have been a great help already and my little seedlings (and my budget)thank you for saving my seeds! My question is "about" how long from germination to true leaves. I can imagine it varies, but I've had cotyledons (I'm proud to have learned something new from you all!) for 7-10 days now but no true leaves on any of my plants. I have seedlings that appear very healthy...zinnias, marigolds, gazanias, tomoato varieties, watermelon...but not one of them appears to be sprouting anything up the middle that look like actual leaves. Am I being impatient or have we stalled.

I'll sit back and "listen". Thanks!

Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long from germination to true leaves

I am not very experienced, but I did just start some Brandywine tomatoes this year. It took a couple of weeks to get true leaves, even under the lights.

I also germinated some Texas Bluebonnets, and they sprouted in about two days! But it took almost THREE weeks for their true leaves to start showing up.

Hope that helps some!

o

it depends on the plant and can also depend on the temperature how quickly the seedlings will develop, so yes just give them some more time to develop their true leaves

o

Okay then it sounds like I have a couple of weeks to go. I'm just impatient now! thanks

Lori

o

Some can be aggravatingly slow e.g. the "morning glory" that blooms in the evening has, in my experience, been hair pullingly slow to produce leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here