Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heirloomjunkie_gw

What was your biggest seed 'oops'?

heirloomjunkie
14 years ago

I can remember my grandpa planting a whole patch of okra seed when I was little. A few days later, my dad went out with a hoe, and took care of all those pesky "weeds" that came up all of the sudden. Didn't have much okra that year...

Comments (14)

• sarcare
    14 years ago

Well this whole season is a seed oops, I was excited to start planting, so I got the veggies and herbs in that I knew I wanted and then started impulsively buying and starting flowers. So now I have huge veggies WAY before they can go out, and teeeeeny perennials that may not be ready until the first fall frost. Oops, I think I got it backwards!

Once, like your okra story, my sister weeded the onion patch and pulled up all the peppers my dad had planted alongside. He'd babied those from seeds, and my sister was heartbroken.

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

That is so funny ;-)
    Just about the same thing happened to me.... I was checking out my garden (I literally never have any weeds) and I saw this big nest of grass popping up, so I jumped right on them,and threw them in a bucket and then into the compost bin, the next day I went to see where I had planted my carrots....AAARRRGGGHHHH What a moron ;-)

• kms4me
    14 years ago

I spent a small fortune on arisaema sikkokianum seeds. They germinated well but after a few months, they died... so I thought. It wasn't until after I'd thrown them out that I found out they had just gone dormant.

• linaria_gw
    14 years ago

I dug out some seedlings one spring where there had been growing a cherry tomato the season before. I potted them, pampered them. The new foliage puzzled me, not being lobate/lobed and after some days it dawned on me that I had potted a weed. Of the Solanaceae-family, but still...

cheers, Lin

• janie58
    14 years ago

About 2 years ago, in late Fall I sowed packets of coneflower seeds in one section of my garden to use as a "nursery" for the following spring. Sure enough I had hundreds of little sprouts come up early the following Spring where I had planted them. As they got bigger, I took them and transplanted them to different areas of my front, side, and back garden beds. They thrived with all my tender loving care. By mid summer when they began reaching about a foot in size, but I couldn't see any flower buds forming, I began to wonder. I dug one up and potted it and took it too my local nursery to show it to a friend who worked there. She smiled and said, "I'm sorry, but this is not a conflower. But it is one of the healthiest weeds I have ever seen."
    I spent the rest of the afternoon ripping all my "well cared for weeds" out of my flower beds.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

This is not a seed oops but a bulb oops. Years ago I had planted a bunch of Glads in my back flower bed. They came up beautifully and were about a foot tall. One day my husband who knows absolutely nothing about flowers, came in and said "I fertilized your Glads". The next day I went out and all my Glads were laying on the ground. He had thrown granular fertilizer all over them and the sun burnt them all. Since then he sticks to the vegetable garden and leaves the flower beds for me to take care for.

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oilpainter, all this time I've thought you were a man. I guess I just assumed. Huh. Learn something new everyday! :)

• jonhughes
    14 years ago

heirloomjunkie,
    That is so funny... it is hard to tell sometimes...at first when I saw your name ,I figured you were an old woman... you know "heirloom" is synonymous with old ;-) Who would have thought, that in reality ,you are a young whipper snapper ;-)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

heirloomjunkie:

Do you think the oil gave you that idea. It's hard to tell gender or age from the names people take. I have been fooled a time or 2 myself. I have 2 passions gardening and painting in oils. I garden in summer and paint in winter--hence the name

• dicot
    14 years ago

The time I watched a 3 flats of happily germinating seeds get clearcut by damping off because I used a bad compost, then over-watered it. Had to buy a bunch of starts. The shame, the shame.

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The names on here ARE really tough to decipher sometimes. Unless we get pictures or videos like jonhughes provides.:) And yes, I am just a young whipper snapper. lol. But almost a quarter of a century old if you look at it a different way! I've only come across three other people my age on here. My generation needs to get off the iphone and do some planting. haha.

• nana8
    14 years ago

My biggest oops was planting a few plug flats of dusty miller plants. When they started to emerge, I thought they were covered with aphids, so I threw them all out. That was about 20 years ago. Hopefully I won't do that ever again.

• ali-b
    14 years ago

Funny thread. My biggest oops was last year's first time seed starting under lights. Everything was in the basement. I was pretty sure my set-up was good. But, why oh why, were my seedlings not taking off. Well, I finally discovered the outlets (except two) in our basement are all connected to the main light switch. So, when I checked on them, lights on. Back upstairs, lights off. The only thing that saved them was my boys' new xbox game that they kept sneaking downstairs to play!

• heirloomjunkie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ali, that's hilarious! Frustrating, I'm sure.