Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what does "ready to harvest in X days" really mean?

Posted by MissMoss 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 22:02

I have been growing my vegetables from seeds for several years and I am always curious about this but never asked. So here is my question finally: when on the seed packet is states "ready to harvest in 25 days" (this is from my radish packet) what does it mean? What is the starting point for those 25 days? Germination? Getting their first pair of true leaves? Please help me solve the mystery :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what does "ready to harvest in X days" really mean?

I think it means from the time you sow the seeds. In the case of your radishes for example, about 4 or 5 days for the seeds to sprout and another 20 days till harvest time.

Art

o

Yes, for items that are normally directed seeded (as are radishes, corn, lettuce, squash,etc.) it is # of days from planting the seeds. For those items that are normally grown from transplant (tomato, pepper, etc.) it is the # of day from transplanting.

However it is important to remember that DTM (days to maturity) are just a general guide, an "average", as many variables can affect it.

Dave

o

Dave, that makes sense. Just out of idle curiosity I will try to "time" my cuces, tomatoes and few others this season. I think my radishes are behind the schedule :) But we've had a cool spring so far so that might be their excuse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here