Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I Prepare Datura Seeds for Planting?

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 22:07

I've acquired some Datura seeds and I'm not sure how to plant them.

I've googled the subject, but I'm getting mixed directions.

Do I freeze them for 6 weeks or soak them for 24 hours?

Is there a certain time that I should plant them?

Absolutely any information on preparing/planting these seeds would be excellent! Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I Prepare Datura Seeds for Planting?

I plant these from seed every year :).. very easy!

I plant them (no freezing or soaking) 1/8 inches under soil in my indoor 'seedling room'.

They will pop up about 3 days later.

They are a bit slow to take off.. maybe 2 weeks to really see them grow. I planted mine 2.1 and they 100% germinated and they are about to bloom today.

Tips: they get big (18" right now) transplant the seedlings into 4"+ pots when they have 2 true leaves, fertilize 50% ratio at week 3 and 100% at week 4. oh.. and they STINK really bad. They are toxic so keep the seeds and plants away from kids and dogs and wash your hands after touching them.

I hope that helps. Post back if you need more info :)

Keriann~

o

Great! Thank you so much for your response! :D

It's also good to know that they are toxic. I didn't know that. Thank you!

o

They stink?! For some reason I thought datura was fragrant. Maybe I am confusing it with something else?

o

Many people confuse them with brugmansia.

o

Taz, exactly. Brugmansia was what I was thinking about. Thanks!

o

The seedlings really really stink in my seedling room but it has never 'offended' me outside though.

The seeds are the most posionous especially their pods they develope in mid spring. If you want more flowers snap off the pods (and toss) and then late in the season let them mature (dry) on the plant and you will have hunreds of seeds for next year :)

What kind did you get?

And where did your friend have them planted? I am still trying to find the best spot up here in zone 5. Most of the posters in the Brug forum are from the South.

Keriann~

o

It depends on which type of datura you are planting. Some are cold hardy and others like the metel varieties aren't. The cold hardy varieties usually sprout quickly but the fancy varieties can have very erratic germination rates. Some may sprout within a week and others can take a couple months. It helps to soak the seeds in water overnight before sowing. Some people also use a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution for soaking. I grow brugs and dats and find most daturas have either no scent or a nice fragrance. Both are toxic and have long history of shamanic use in South America. If you have extremely sensitive skin you should handle the plants with gloves (not needed for handling seeds) and make sure you don't get the sap in your eye. It will cause your pupil to dilate. Most people don't suffer any reaction from handling the plants and I pinch them back with bare hands as do most of the others I know that grow them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here