Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this damping off? Dark areas on new true leaves

Posted by chele519 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 22:09

I just transplanted these Bibb lettuce seedlings last night. They had been in peat pellets and were getting too crowded. I removed the netting and the roots were starting to come through but I don't think I damaged any. All 6 that I transplanted have a dark area on the true leaves which just came out a few days ago. It is a little hard to see in the pictures, this is the best I could do up close. On the far left edge of the leaf, there is a dark area, almost looks like a shadow but it isn't. I used Miracle Gro potting mix. They look ok to me at the stem and I know it says that is where damping off occurs, looking at them I think I overwatered but I am not sure. I'd like to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I will have another group to transplant in a few days. Thanks for any help.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this damping off? Dark areas on new true leaves

Damping off will typically occur at the soil line, where fungi enter bruised tissue. Strange things on leaf edges means uptake of nutrients and water was poor, or it can be tainted water, etc. In their new home with plenty of light the seedings should be fine. Peat pots offer no nutrition, so moving them was the thing to do.

o
RE: Is this damping off? Dark areas on new true leaves

I have a PUR dispenser for drinking water. I have been using that at room temp to water all my seedlings. Should I continue doing this or use tap water? Once they go outside they will just get water from the hose anyway. I'm confused, I thought the cotyledons were supposed to give them enough nutrition for a while. Should I be transplanting the others that are in the Jiffy mix that doesn't have any fertilizer in it? I also have some in Miracle Grow seed starting mix, are those better off?

I was going to start tomatoes today and I had planned to use the peat pellets for those, in addition to also planting in the mixes for better luck. It seems at least for space I need to transplant the ones in pellets sooner but should I also be doing it sooner so they get nutrition? This is my first year starting seeds inside so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here