Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I Prepare Blackberry Lily seeds for Planting?

Posted by redthreaddiy 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 22:19

I just got some blackberry lily seeds.

I read that some people soaked the seeds for 24 hours.

I plan on doing that and then sowing them indoors until they are strong enough to go outdoors.

Did this work well for anyone? Do the seeds NEED soaking? How deep do I sow the seeds? I'm getting mixed responses from Google, so I'm not sure.

Any more information about how to plant these seeds or what to expect? I think the germination takes 30 days, but if there is a way to speed that up, it would be great! Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I Prepare Blackberry Lily seeds for Planting?

The seeds need stratification, so you will need to put them on moist vermiculite or perlite, and then put in a ziplog bag and store in the refrigerator for about a month. After a month, take them out and start them either indoor or outdoor.

I remember starting mine around March, and I got flowers that same year. Now it is a little late. I am not sure if they will bloom this year; but if they don't, they will come back and be ready for next year.

I put some in a jar with damp vermiculite and stored it in the fridge for about a month.
Photobucket

Then I put the seeds in a tofu box with vermiculite, and I left it in a room indoor.
Photobucket

And I got some seedlings in April:
Photobucket

Since that was my first time, I thought I would do some experiment with different methods, so I also put some like this in a milk container:
Photobucket

And I covered it and left it in my unheated garage. I got good germination this way too. But I started in March. Now your garage is probably too warm.
Photobucket

And the result that year:
Photobucket

o
RE: How do I Prepare Blackberry Lily seeds for Planting?

You have helped TREMENDOUSLY! Thank you for all of the photos! I will give this method a try!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here