Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baggie method

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 22:29

OK, so I've had chile seeds in a baggie within a paper towel and they are swollen, but I still really don't see shoots coming from them. It's been a week and I'm just worried they're are going to rot. I don't use any special heating though, although it's 60s or 70s outside.

Also, I started a several baggies the way recommended with coffee filters. How often do I check them? I don't want to check them too often because I think too much fretting could mess it up. Will I have to rewet the filters before most seeds sprout? or maybe not? Thanks!

Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baggie method

I use the coffee filter/baggie method and check the seeds every few days by holding the baggie up to a light/lamp. If I see what I suspect is a sprout, I take out the filter and unfold it for a better look. I take any sprouted seeds and plant them in a cup or cell pack. At this point if the filter is starting to dry out, I'll spritz it with water to dampen it again, and set the baggie back in a warm place(usually above the computer). Peppers like around 85 degrees to germinate best, but any thing lower than 70 might take quite a while. Some seeds may rot, some won't do anything. I place about 6-10 seeds in each filter depending on how many I have and how many I want of each variety(I garden on a very small scale). I've had seeds get plump, but get a dark stain around them in the filter. When that happens, I'll place them in a clean filter(and baggie)and spritz with dilute chamomile tea to help ward off fungus.HTH

o

Thanks for that advice. Do you plant as soon as you see the little root? or do you wait until leaves show up?

o

As soon as I see the root...but sometimes I forget to check and the leaves start to emerge, so I plant those with the leaves just at the soil line. I make a deep wide hole and carefully cover the root, curving it around if needed in the hole. The roots can go from barely there to an inch long overnight, so once they start to sprout you need to check on them frequently.

o

OK thanks I will check them soon and probably pot them up or put them in the ground.

Z

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here