Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what vegetables don't do well with transplanting?

Certain veggies I know you should plant them where they're to grow, because they just don't do well when you try to transplant them.

I can think of a few off of the top of my head, and they are:

*Watermelon

*Cantaloupe

*Zucchini

*Summer Squash

*Butternut squash

*Acorn squash

*cucumbers

However these are the only veggies I know for sure you should avoid transplanting. What are other vegetables that should just be avoided like the plague when it comes to transplanting them?

Comments (10)

• ashncarson
    15 years ago

I guess I don't understand (newbie here) what you mean by "transplantng".(I understand the term,but not in this context) .Are you saying these certain plants grow best from seed in the place you want them? What about store bought plants? I did zucchini last year and it grow great after bringing it home to plant.

Please explain! (hope I am making sense)

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Kawa: In addition to your list, I have found that root veggies do not transplant well (radishes, carrots, parsnips, beets). Also, peas.

Prof

• bcskye
    15 years ago

Kawaiineko, I've never had trouble starting seeds of the ones you mentioned inside, then transplanting into the garden at the proper time. Retiredprof is right, though, root veggies do not transplant well.

• novice_2009
    15 years ago

Beets, carrots, radishes, and onions to name a few. Even in peat pots, it just doesn't work. These need room to grow and form strong healthy roots.
    Cucumbers don't transplant well? I've had success with that.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

One I learned this year...onions, as previously stated. :-\

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

Onions work fine as transplants. I grew Copra last year from seed, started inside in a flat and then transplanted out. Many nurseries and mail order companies sell bunches of onion seedlings as well.
    Cucumbers need to be started indoors in some northern areas and transplant pretty well after danger of frost. I always start cucumbers inside and transplant out. I have read here however that starting directly in the garden is still better if you have warmer weather.
    I have had some success with transplanting melons though plants have died after I've set them out.
    Beans do not transplant well.

Jon

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Well, my onions didn't like it. :( Southport White Globe Onions. I'm down to 4 seedlings (one of which is falling over/acting like it's going to die). I'm going to directly sow some more seeds in a quite large container on my porch in a few weeks. Hopefully, they'll still get pretty big before the Fall/cold temps set in.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

Here's a picture of 2 of the remaining 4 onions. :(

{{gwi:238449}}

• jaynine
    15 years ago

I've grown and transplanted every plant mentioned in the original post for years--no problems. I've transplanted onions with no trouble, too, but haven't ever tried the other root vegetables. I can't think of any veggies I've grown that didn't transplant well.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

If they can transplant heaRts, you can transplant any vegetable. But then again, not evry medical doctor can do heart transsplant. So it takes know how and pracice and extra care.

I have bought cucumbers many time in those little 4 or 6 packs. In ecah pocKet if I had 4 PLANTS, I would separate then into 2 time two and plant each 2 separately and they will grow.
    What I do is soak those plants real good for about 30 minuts. They will eat and drink as mucH as they can. Now they are full. Take them out, pour more water on them if necessay , loosen them up separate them And plant them
    AND, WATER THEM RIGHTAWAY, GENTLY THOUROUGHLY, PACK FINE MOIST SOIL AROUND THEM, WATER THEM, FILL SOIL UP YO THEIR SEED LEAVE.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.