Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinnias

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (ifraser57@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 22:38

Nobody really answered my questions when I posted earlier so I asked a gardening friend. Here is a summary of what she said.
1. To collect the seed wait till the flowers have wilted and dried on the stem. Then remove the dead flower head.
2. Gently pull away the lower dry petals from the seedhead. There will be a pointed seed attached at the base. You don't have to remove the petal from the seed - you can pull them apart - but a lot of people think it's neater.
3. Check the seed is fertile. Fertility can be as low as 1 or 2% if there are few pollenators, but is usually about 30%. You can easily check which seed is fertile. Fertile seed is thicker and fatter than infertile seed and darker in color - dark grey/brown. Infertile seed looks thinner and poorer and is usually a lighter grey/brown color.
4. If you have any doubts whether the seed is fertile or not do the drop test. Drop the seed from a height of about 6 inches (15cm) onto a hard surface, if you hear a hard click when it makes contact it is fertile. If there is little or no sound it is probably not.
5. Sow the seed directly into the ground as soon as possible in warm conditions. Germination is fast. Don't try and transplant. If plants begin to look tall and lanky pinch out the main stem, though with modern dwarf varieties this is often not necessary.
Good luck - Ian.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinnias

I didn't know all that, I have a bunch that I saved and am waiting to sow. Thanks for posting! :)

o

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 0:21

I frequently save zinnia seed in the "green seed" stage, when the petals still have come color but the seeds have fattened up. I either plant them immediately for a quick second generation, or dry them for storage.

There are at least two advantages to saving zinnia seeds in the green seed stage. First, you give birds much less chance to eat your zinnia seeds. Second, you avoid the danger of a wet spell pre-germinating your zinnia seeds in the seedhead. And, if you are trying to grow a second generation of zinnias, you get several weeks headstart by gathering the seeds in the green stage and planting them immediately.

ZM

o

um, yep, i do the same with primula and hellebore...oh, and pulsatilla - sow them early and green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here