Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
breaking hibiscus seed after germination?

Posted by funkez z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 22:47

Folks, I have a problem whose answer I'm having trouble googling. My hibiscus seedlings come up almost a week ago with the hard little seed still covering their heads. Should I take some tweezers and try to break off the seed or will that kill the hibiscus? I had a few come up a few weeks ago that had the same problem and they eventually died. Not sure if they ever got strong enough to break through the seed.

I didn't scarify the seeds before planting. Advice?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: breaking hibiscus seed after germination?

I've had that happen quite often, it can happen on any seedling. I always spray the shell of that seed with water until it gets soft (which happens fast). After that, it's usually easily pulled off (gently holding the green seed leaf with tweezers). Even if you break the tip of the seed leaf (cotyledon) off the seedling will continue to grow just fine. Just go slow and easy and you'll be fine.

o
RE: breaking hibiscus seed after germination?

Thanks. I tried to do that on Sunday evening and am worried that I may have mangled them - one seedling is still greenish and the other disappeared somewhere into the soil. Mostly I couldn't figure out how to water/soften the shells very well. Crossing my fingers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here