Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stunted seedlings-help !!

Posted by jeaninmt 3a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 23:02

Hello,
After years of growing reasonably thriving seedlings, these are a complete flop it lookslike. I started 2 trays of Cauliflower, Broccoli and Cabbage 6 weeks ago. They came up in good time and grew well up to their two leaf stage. I divided them into individual cells of 6 packs and they have quit growing. Some of them are getting purple leaf margins.
Weekly I have tried weak solutions of fish fertilizer, sea-com(seaweed product), worm juice and manure tea. They did get overwatered once about 2 weeks ago and I pulled the 6 packs out of the tray onto a bigger tray with plenty of ventilation and drainage.
These are in our porch, about 65 - 75 degrees, flouescent lights(warm and cool) and some natural light.
Thanks for any ideas !!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stunted seedlings-help !!

When you transplant your seedlings they will stop growing for at least two weeks, it is called a "check in growth" caused by disturbing the roots. It will not help to move them again, let them grow out of it by themselves. During this time fertilizer will hurt not help. As the roots are not removing any water from the mix, it is very easy to over water, and exclude any air from the root zone. Al

o
RE: stunted seedlings-help !!

Somehow I don't think that's the issue here. In the past transplanting hasn't slowed them down. I am wondering if the potting soil is messed up somehow. Hoping to replant in another brand today. Thanks for the reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here