Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
condor_gardener

Can Kitchen Heat Kill Seeds?

condor_gardener
12 years ago

Dear Experts,

In 2007, I ordered some flower seeds and planted them. I had varying luck that year.

Some grew, and some did not. At the time I concluded that it was how and where I

planted.

That fall, I was given seeds by a neighbor; cleome, brown eyed susan, and another flower.

And then I moved to the Los Angeles area, and took the seeds with me.

I put the seeds in the kitchen cupboards.

Where I lived, we didn't use either the heat, or the air conditioning much. Especially

when I went to work all day, and the place was vacant. In the summer, it got very hot.

In 2009 and 2010, I tried planting some of the seeds that I'd been given in Massachusetts.

But they just didn't grow. The ones that did grow were the ones that I bought that year.

This year, I've tried starting these seeds again. Both the packaged seeds and the ones

that were given me. Again, they are not growing.

As well, I've bought red, blue, and white morning glories this spring from different

manufacturers. Each type of seed I've planted in nine peat moss pellets. Of each type,

the blue seeds grew in most of the pellets. But the white only grew in two pellets. It's really odd.

So, I'm thinking a few things.

1) the very hot heat in the kitchen cupboards killed the older seeds that I had.

2) In any batch, not all seeds will sprout.

3) Seed quality varies by "manufacturer". More seeds will grow from some companies

than others.

Am I correct? Other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (2)