Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Kitchen Heat Kill Seeds?

Posted by condor_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 23:07

Dear Experts,

In 2007, I ordered some flower seeds and planted them. I had varying luck that year.
Some grew, and some did not. At the time I concluded that it was how and where I
planted.

That fall, I was given seeds by a neighbor; cleome, brown eyed susan, and another flower.
And then I moved to the Los Angeles area, and took the seeds with me.
I put the seeds in the kitchen cupboards.

Where I lived, we didn't use either the heat, or the air conditioning much. Especially
when I went to work all day, and the place was vacant. In the summer, it got very hot.

In 2009 and 2010, I tried planting some of the seeds that I'd been given in Massachusetts.
But they just didn't grow. The ones that did grow were the ones that I bought that year.

This year, I've tried starting these seeds again. Both the packaged seeds and the ones
that were given me. Again, they are not growing.

As well, I've bought red, blue, and white morning glories this spring from different
manufacturers. Each type of seed I've planted in nine peat moss pellets. Of each type,
the blue seeds grew in most of the pellets. But the white only grew in two pellets. It's really odd.

So, I'm thinking a few things.

1) the very hot heat in the kitchen cupboards killed the older seeds that I had.

2) In any batch, not all seeds will sprout.

3) Seed quality varies by "manufacturer". More seeds will grow from some companies
than others.

Am I correct? Other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Kitchen Heat Kill Seeds?

1) Temperature over 160F will kill seed and a temp between 160-180 is used to "setrilize soil" It should be noted that some seed need to have a cool period (below 40F) before it can germinate. check the package.
for this reason I keep my extra seed in the Vegitable keeper
2)Very true look on the package it often lists a germination rate
3)This true but also know the germination rate of seed from the same compaany will vary from year to year.

o
RE: Can Kitchen Heat Kill Seeds?

I keep my seeds in air tight containers in normal room temperatures. Dr. Deno did many tests indicating for two or three years seed will keep this way fine. If you want as long as possible then keeping the airtight containers at refrigerator temperatures will also help. Fluctuating temperatures AND humidity in storage, will cause most seeds not to germinate when planted. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here