Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Astrantia from seed

Posted by cfranke Z6 Toronto (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 23:16

I'm looking for tips on germinating Astrantia aka Masterwort - I have several different types of A. seed and have had no luck with warm-cold-warm or the reverse, for that matter. Are they hard to grow from seed or should I just be patient?
Winter sowing thus far has produced no sprouts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Astrantia from seed

Is it saved seed or bought seed? I know my Astrantia minor (bought) went thru winter and then I saw some germination. The seed that I saved myself seemed to germinate fairly readily for me.

Best bet....sow it outside now and let it experience your spring weather...and if you see nothing, watch if the fall season will show some action. You should certainly see some activity by this time next year.

Good luck

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 10:41

Warm cold cool (40s, 50s, not 65F+ for the final cycle) is whats always been recommended for astrantia - truthfully, I always had a problem with purchased seed. I don't have a good place to achieve 50 for germination, basement or otherwise, unless sowing outdoors.

This is among the few plants where to have the seed I could sow successfully, I bought a plant...same season access to fresh seed. They are easy when sown fresh, pots left outdoors, germination takes place late winter/earliest spring here. The darker flowering varieties will produce seedlings with a range from light to dark flowers, often producing a flower or two their first season so you can pick which seedlings to keep depending on your preference.

That original plant, that became a clump, self sowed to the point of almost being a pest :) Seedlings to weed, to move to better and other places, even seedlings in the lawn :) But still at least a runner-up for the longest blooming plant that I grow.

o

Thanks, guys!
I will go the winter sow root and hope for the best. I adore this flower and have several plants - I will look for seedlings near them.
I guess when they're happy and they know it, they'll self seed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here