Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyuu

Geum Seeds not sprouting- am I doing something wrong?

tanyuu
11 years ago

As the title says, I'm currently vexed by some Mrs. Bradshaw Geum seeds. Other seeds that I've planted that have the same germination period (going by http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html) have already sprouted and are growing along nicely in the same flat, and there's no sign of mold.

Anyone have any experiences or tips to share with how to get this seed germinating? I didn't read anything about it needing to be stratified, but maybe I'll have to in order to get it going...

Comments (6)

• tanyuu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW- this flat uses Oasis soilless growing medium, with a high dome. I mostly just spritz the medium, and the two other kinds of seeds there (Snow in Summer, and Zulu Prince Daisy) are growing just fine.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

According to my notes, I winter sowed Geum Mrs. Bradshaw seeds on December 13 and they sprouted March 27, 2010 @ 75% germination. When did you sow the seeds?

• tanyuu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

About two weeks ago, off the top of my head.

Granted, my panic was over the fact that it was noted they were fast germinators on the website.

It makes me feel better that yours took a few months to even sprout; I just learned via these forums that having them sit around in the medium doesn't 'damage' the seeds beyond repair in some way (which was my belief for some reason). The medium is sterile, so that helps as well.

I love the way they look, so I'll definitely be patient.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

They may be "fast germinaters" only under optimal conditions, i.e., exactly the right combination of temperature, moisture + hours of daylight. That's one reason I winter sow--the seeds are in moist growing medium outdoors and it's completely up to Mother Nature when they sprout. My only job is making sure the growing medium doesn't dry out and Mother Nature generally provides enough snow & rain to take care of that chore as well. I WS G. 'Lady Stratheden' seeds on January 12 this year and they sprouted on March 22. We had an abnormally warm, snowless winter but none of my winter sown seeds sprouted early, I'm assuming because the hours of daylight didn't trigger their germination requirements.

• tanyuu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your advice, and good news! They sprouted just today. It seems I was very impatient, but thankfully, now I know there wasn't anything I had missed.

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your sproutlings!! May they live long, bloom-heavy lives and grow to be colorful additions to your flowerbeds. It's easy to get impatient when you provide the best growing medium & optimal growing conditions but it's best to stand back once that's done and let the seeds do what they do best...sprout when the time is right. Tomorrow I'm going to be planting ornamental dogwood trees I grew from seed via winter sowing--they're nearly 3 ft. tall and well branched so it's time to get them in the ground and let them do their thing. It'll be bittersweet in some ways--I'll be planting them beside the stumps of mature dogwoods that snapped off 12 ft. from the ground back in the October snowstorm and had to be cut down.