Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice Gardeners

Posted by youngfye Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 23:20

Hello everyone. I have come to find this forum very helpful and interesting, but this is my first post. Last year my husband and I did some gardening for the very first time and was pleased with our crop of hanging Tumbling Tom yellow and other tomatoes that did very well, peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and basil. We planted other things, but these are the ones worth mentioning. This year, we decided to start seeds indoor, and now, we are overwhelmed. HELP!! Everyone tells us that the lettuce and all the cool weather veg. should already be outside. Unfortunately, it seems as if they are too big split. And the poor beets what shall we do with them? The squash/zucchini are all over the place and just want to get in the ground, etc., etc, etc,. Is there a phone number we can call to have someone rescue us and our potential garden? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice Gardeners

Hi Youngfye ! We are almost neighbors ! Yes, this forum is wonderful , you will meet lots of nice gardener here ! I am in southern Maryland , I've only been gardening in Maryland for about 4 years so I will just tell you my experience here in somd and I will let the experts here give you the best advice however I will tell you that I planted my cool season veggies about 6 weeks ago , everything is growing pretty good except the lettuce is growing a bit slow ( I should have started them inside sooner ) ... Its a few weeks yet before our average last frost date here in somd ... April 30 ... depending on what part of MD you are in I believe you could go ahead and plant some things out, I would hold off on the tomatoes and peppers, they like warm soil and will just sit there if its too cool ... I am thinking about planting out my squash soon in order to get a head start before the squash bugs show up . Its always a guessing game to decide when its too early to plant out ... here is a link to the Maryland Coop Extension Office , I use the planting dates as a guideline , there is a 1 800 number , they can probably help if you want to give them a call .
Hope this helps a little bit !

Iris

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryland Cooperative Extension Office

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here