Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Coleus From Seed

Posted by newbilac KS (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 23:43

I am very new to starting plants from seed and have chosen coleus to start with. I just bought a packet of "Rainbow Mix" seeds. It sounds like I may have chosen one of the easier plants to grow from seed by luck. I mostly am interested in try to save some bucks as opposed to paying greenhouse prices to start with until I see if I am going to have any luck propogating from cuttings. I am very new to this and have lots of questions. I have some seedlings up and just getting their first set of true leaves. I started them in the jiffy pots that you can get at Wal-mart. The kind that you add water to and they swell up. So far so good. I have been putting them outside on days when it is warm and sunny and keeping them under some 6500k compact flourescent bulbs on days when it is cloudy, cold, or raining. Some of my questions are.

1. When do I need to get them planted or into bigger
pots? 4 leaf stage? bigger?

2. Is a dilute mixture of miracle grow ok for nutrients at
this stage? Is there something better? Should I wait a
little longer to feed them much?

3. Are there any particularly common problems or pitfalls
that can arise when raising coleus from seed?
(diseases, common mistakes, etc.)

I have sooo many questions right now I really appreciate any help from the experienced coleus gardners out there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Coleus From Seed

I am starting coleus from seed for the first time too ("carefree mix"), so I am not and expert. I would recommend you transplanting them soon. Its difficult to keep those little peat pots an even moisture - they tend to be either to dry or to wet.

I started mine in a flat, then transplanted them into 3oz cups when they were tiny, just starting their first set of true leaves. Most of them have three sets of true leaves now and I will pot them up to 9oz cups soon.

Your fertilizer diluted to at least half the strength of the recommended dilution will be fine, but they don't really need any fertilizer until they have at least two sets of true leaves.

I dont know of any common problems - I am hoping they are as easy to grow as they seem so far.

o

The above advice is good. The most common problem is keeping the mix too wet, causing root rot. Al

o

Can coleus be direct seeded outside???

o

I am trying some direct seeding outdoors along with my indoor/potted efforts and I have had very little success with the outdoor planted seeds. I have been keeping the outdoor seeds watered but our temps here this year have been sloooowwww to warm up and I suspect this is seriously limiting my outdoor success. My indoor plants that were started a few days after my outdoor seeds are quite a ways ahead of the direct seeded and I have far more of the indoor plants.

o

if growing from seed doesn't work out, coleus grows really easily from cuttings. Cut a branch off an existing plant, take off the bottom leaves. Put in a glass of water so that there are 4-5 nodes (where the leaves were) under water. Roots will develop from the nodes. When there are plenty of roots, remove from glass, dust with rooting hormone and plant.

o

It has warmed up here finally and the seedlings are doing great. Some have a pretty good sized second set of leaves and just the beginnings of the third set of true leaves. Couldn't be happier with my success so far. I also found a few plants in a four pack at a local greenhouse that were getting too tall and spindly so I bought them with the idea that I would use the top half for cuttings and plant the bottoms right away. The cuttings already have started rooting and I potted them up tonight and I have them under a T5 flourescent bulb. So if they live I will have twice the plants for the same money and more to look at this summer.

o

I'm trying to start coleus from seed indoors with grow lights and a heating mat under a Burpee wick-style tray system that keeps the plug trays wet through a mat (http://www.burpee.com/seed-starting/burpee-ultimate-growing-system-prod001254.html). The grow lights are LED grow lights. And I have a thermostatically controlled heating mat (80 degrees) under the whole thing. The soil is the peat pellets that came with the Burpee trays, augmented with some Jiffy-mix where needed.

Other plants are doing fine, but the 76 coleus are really struggling. After germinating, most remain tiny, just the seed leaves or perhaps starting a couple more, after 2 months. There are a few that have done better (3rd-4th set of leaves), but that is probably only about 8 plants out of the 76. Overall, I give myself a D :-(. And as you can see, I've really barred no expense in my attempt to do this right.

One of the earlier notes mentioned too much water. I wasn't worrying about that because of the "automatic" wicking nature of the seed trays. But the soil is soggy. Is that a real/known problem for coleus?

Thanks for any help/advise.

o

Those expandable dirt pellets are garbage. Does it look like good dirt to you? Does it look fertile? Of course not. It is it just a convenient way for the manufacturer to supply you with the bare minimum quality product. Throw them away. They may work OK with TLC but not great. Get Miracle Grow garden soil. I swear by that stuff.

So many times these plants we have come with a good story. I was trying to get rid of my drug habit and I discovered that the best way to lose one addiction is to pick up another! I found gardening. Well I and my partner found out thru this website of a scheduled swap meet in Sheldon Ct. We live in Connecticut but on the other side and it was raining like I have never seen. We could hardly see as my partner drove. We got lost but finally found the place. Thank goodness there was at least a roof!

We were amazed that anyone else showed up but they did! We had so much in common. We were like long lost family members. One of the things I got in trade was a cutting of Coleus in a plastic bag. It was the most common one that you most often see. Well the lady I got it from went on and on how when she graduated from college that these beautiful plants adored the entire auditorium where the ceremony took place. It meant so much to her and it meant so much for her to relate the story. I have treasured the plant she gave me ever since.

I still have it. From time to time you have to re-root it as it tends to get woody and die. You don�t need chemicals, just stick a stem in water and in no time it roots just like that. It might be wise to change the water now and then. Pick away the big leaves.
On growing them from seed I tried it once. I dumped a packet under a holly bush and nothing�at first... But then a month or so later they popped up. They do seem to do well in shade or partial shade or peek-a-boo sun/shade.
Some that I have rooted from the momma plant have done wonderful in full sun! Some wilt. It is hit or miss. The trick is you can always keep them going by picking off a good stem and rooting it in an indoor window sill.
It has been 8 years and I still have the same plant going this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here