Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nolagalintx

garden on my own

nolagalintx
14 years ago

I have been lurking here reading posts and getting some great info. So now is the time to say "hi"

I have grown up around avid gardeners (dad and grandfather) so I guess its in the blood....so finally after years of waiting for my boys to be old enough (ages 4 and 7, and basically waiting to have some free time of my own) I was able to get started on my own garden....I feel so grown up now (lol)...

Anyway I wanted to show some pics of the raised beds my husband built and my little set up in the garage of my seedlings.

Trial and error and lots of phone calls to my grandfather later...

I planted pole beans in the raised bed and started the trellis (gotta finish this weekend) The seedlings are Rose heirloom tomatoes, smarty grape tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cajun delite okra, eggplant, red bell peppers and watermelons. Seeds purchased at johnnys select

The topsy tuvy planters are strawberries.....

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AZNGrZs3YtmoA

Juli

Comments (6)

• nolagalintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

is what the title should read

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Hi Juli and welcome. Glad you posted. :) Nice pictures and I hope you don't mind if I post a direct link to them below. Folks can just double click on each to enlarge them.

Unfortunately Shutterfly doesn't offer an html format URL for them so they can't be put right into your posts here for all to see. For future pics you might want to share you might want to check out photobucket.com (its free).

One comment on your pics if you don't mind - your plants are quickly getting leggy because your light needs to be quite a bit closer to your plants - 1-2" away at most. You can either lower it or raise the flat of plants. With those tall squash seedlings it will be hard to get it close enough to the others so you might want to move them to another tray and then tip the light at an angle.

Hope this helps and enjoy your gardens.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Juli's album

• dicot
    14 years ago

Shutterfly's format doesn't matter, you can still grab the jpeg's unique url link and post it using the standard html 4.01 code that GW and many forums use (sorry if that just sounds like gibberish).

{{gwi:238958}}

Very nice. Did you put down a layer or two of cardboard on the grass before filling with soil, Juli?

• nolagalintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the feedback Dave, getting ready to fix them

I didnt have cardboard, so I used several layers of newspaper and watered it down before added the soil...will that still be okay?

• nolagalintx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more question...I think the squash and zucchini might need to be thinned out now. the roots are growing like mad out the bottom and some are falling over (ones with 3 in a "spot", one is falling over)

DO I just cut the stem at the soil line?

• dicot
    14 years ago

I like to cut slightly above soil line & try not to soak the cut area during watering (if possible) to minimize the chance of rot traveling down the roots, but I may be overcautious. Newspaper should be as good or better as long as it's a good, firm grass block.