Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Marigolds and Zinnias

Posted by PigletGeniesse none (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 2:10

I am new to gardening, so please, bear with me. I know these questions may seem like common knowledge or sound stupid.

What type of pot or container is best to grow them in?

Can you grow many in one pot? Or is it best to space them out or grow them in single pots? I love the look of them all growing close together like I see on images on Google, but it seems crowded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Marigolds and Zinnias

I'm pretty new to gardening as well. Your questions are not stupid. I leave a few inches space in between each one.

o

In Colorado, we use plastic pots frequently because they don't dry out as quickly as clay pots.

As for spacing, I check the seed packet. For example, I planted Renee's Garden pixie sunshine container zinnias in a pot that has a 6-inch-wide opening. The seed packet said to space the seeds 3" apart. I planted one seed in the middle and 4 more seeds spaced equally around the edge of the pot. I'm waiting to see which ones sprout. If I end up with too many plants, I'll just pull the ones that are in the way.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 17:03

Check the height and width of the full grown plants (shown on back of seed packet usually).

Zinnias and Marigolds vary in height and width depending on the type.

The Zinnias I grow are quite tall - I grow them in the ground.

The Marigolds I grow are two types - the French and Dwarf.

I plant several (5 or so) marigold seeds in one hole. The French get quite wide - 3 feet perhaps. The Dwarf are cute little mounds that would look lovely in a pot.

Zinnias and Marigolds are very good choices - very easy to grow.

Here is a picture of the Zinnias and Dwarf Marigold in my yard:

o

I have less experience with zinnias, but I've seen marigolds grow and bloom even when very crowded. Ideal spacing may be more eficient use of your seed, but even planted at maybe four times that density, they can grow healthy, with adequate water and fertilizer. They can be pretty forgiving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here